Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Pets? Answer From Your Carmel Animal Clinic

Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Pets?  Answer From Your Carmel Animal Clinic

I love to garden so in the wintertime it is nice to bring some color into your home.  Besides a Christmas tree, my wife and I always get several poinsettias to warm up a cold December.  Guests see my pets and often shocked asking:  “Aren’t poinsettias poisonous to dogs and cats?”

Yes, they are.  However poinsettias are often avoided by most pets and usually are not fatal.  The leaves and the sap inside the stem can cause irritation of the mouth and GI tract.  So the most common signs you will see if you pet ate some poinsettias are drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of appetite.  Some pets will also have a skin irritation as well.

If you notice these signs, please call me at Cottage Animal Clinic of Carmel right away.  Treatment involves symptomatic therapy of anti-vomiting meds, anti-nausea meds, fluids to prevent dehydration.  If the oral ulceration is severe, a soothing medication can also be applied for pain relief.

So the moral of the story is to know your pets.  If your dog has been known to eat anything he/she can find or likes to nibble on plants, keep the poinsettias up on a table out of reach.  Also remember that they will start to drop their leaves as the days go by so sweep up frequently to avoid a trip to your local Carmel Animal Clinic.  Cats are crafty and get pretty much anywhere in the house.  So if your cat is a plant eater, I would advise you NOT to have poinsettias in the house.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!  If you would like more information about our Caring Hands Compassionate Hearts click on this link to Carmel Animal Clinic.

Comments are closed.